Thursday, April 26, 2012

Crossfit Juice Fast #2

    Well, I'm on the wagon again. This is my second crossfit biochemistry hack. I'm drinking fresh fruit & veggie juices at least twice a day. They have been mostly carrot, apple, celery, beet, strawberry, spinach, lemon, grapefruit with a little mango, blackberry, broccoli, cantaloupe, ginger, blueberry, & pineapple thrown in for good measure. I prepare anywhere from 20-40oz of juice at a time and drink it immediately to maximize my absorption of the nutrients before they can oxidize and/or degrade. Some are great, some are meh, some are just nutrition. 
    Protein is the missing piece of the puzzle when considering a juice fast and simultaneously pursuing an aggressive training regimen. Therefore, I drink a little over 50grams of whey protein powder immediately post WOD mixed with 20oz of unsweetened almond milk and have the same shake before bed. I have used my preworkout supplement, 1 scoop of Jack 3d, for three of the four days. The caffeine in it helps me push harder and dig a little deeper. In fact, studies show it raises pain threshold and contributes to an average of about a 15% increase in power output. This has been a very good week of workouts.  
    I did an hour of yoga on Sun after I started the fast at noon and have completed one WOD (workout of the day) the last four days. My stamina has not been an issue. Strength has not been an issue. In fact, I set a new PR (personal record) for my rear squat this week. It was only 215lb, but I could barely muster 155lb to the proper crossfit squat depth when I started. Plus my form, if you want to call it that, was shit. Tuesday was Barbara (a deceptively difficult girl). We also did a crazy "Death by 10m" shuttle run on Wed. in which I performed well (16 rounds + 16 runs of the 17th round). Today was a metcon (metabolic conditioning) WOD from hell and I never hit the wall or had to rest an inordinate amount of time. My time was 23:33rx and I beat my competitive partner!


For time:
400m row buy in:
then
4 rounds:
10 push press 115lb
20 box jumps 24in
then
4 rounds:
10 burpees
20 kb swings 53lb
then
400m run cash out

Weight-203.6lb new all time low!
emotional status-irritated (hungry?)
Stamina-fine during WODs, but sluggish at other times

    This second fast has been much easier to abide by mentally. I've been here before and I know what it feels like. There really isn't any anxiety about food of the workouts. I understand my connection to my food and my addiction to it. The guts have been fine too (not the case the first couple days last time). It's as if my body just said, "yeah, ok... I remember. I got this!"
    I was in Costco today with my daughter and we had a great time talking about healthy natural foods and our choices about what we put into our bodies. My fridge and fruit bowl are filled with healthy options to eat and snack on. I've gotten into the habit of buying fresh vegetables and produce. I really like big green salads sprinkled in a raspberry or balsamic vinaigrette. This may have never happened if I didn't commit myself to experimenting with the juice fast, educating myself about nutrition, taking responsibility for my food choices, and busting my ass on the road, trail, gym, box, driveway, call room at work, etc...
Here is a link to the WODs that we do @ Ignite Fitness in Hoover Ignite Fitness Hoover WODs

No comments:

Post a Comment