Sunday, February 5, 2012

7 Day Crossfit Juice Fast-Day 1

     Today is Superbowl Sunday. This may not have been the best day to start a juice fast. Tonight, my friends are all going to be drinking beer, eating nachos, wings, brats, and various other delectable game day treats. I will be drinking vegetable and fruit juice. In order to maintain the intensity of my workouts and prevent muscle breakdown, I am supplementing my fast with two unsweetened almond milk and whey shakes a day (~120g protein). One before bed and another post WOD. The rest of the time, it's raw, freshly juiced veggies and fruit. I'm using a Breville BJE510XL Ikon 900-Watt Variable-Speed Juice Extractor


weight-215.8lb
emotional status-anxious
stamina-did a 1hr yoga class & I felt normal


     First, I'd like to admit that I have a problem with food, an unhealthy obsession. I'm an emotional eater and I am attempting to step back from this paradigm so that I may examine it more clearly. I want to see what it feels like to live a week of my life with an ultra clean diet without the food getting in the way. 
     Being raised in the south eating southern foods, e.g. fried everything salted & buttered, white rice, potatoes, & biscuits, over cooked vegetables seasoned with fatty meats, pies, cakes, cookies, etc.., I have a history of making poor food choices. This week will allow me to saturate my cells with vital nutrients while I get my head right about how I choose to fuel my body. 
     Two years ago, I was a fat, depressed, stressed, over-worked father of a 3 & 4 year old. I was getting ready for work one day and I looked in the mirror and it hit me. I was on a bad trajectory. So, I joined a gym and began to work out. I got a little stronger. Later, my buddy asked me to run a 5k trail/mud run and I did. It was fun, so I began to jog a little. Then, a year ago, I began doing crossfit. 
     This has changed pretty much everything. I didn't know what a workout was, but I do now. I didn't identify myself as an athlete, but I do now. I think about nutrition, flexibility, strength, endurance, agility, and, power. My new body is leaner and I can see the fruits of my labor. This makes me want to be even better, train harder, and eat cleaner. 
     I started yoga this year and am really enjoying it. I can feel my balance, both physical and emotional, getting better. My workouts are getting better. I push as hard as I can, but I stay within myself, enjoying the struggle. I've learned to accept my faults and thank my body for how it serves me in this life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment